VMware Cloud Community
SteveAntle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host Profiles in vSphere 5

Hello,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction - I'm looking for specifics on host profiles in vSphere 5. I know they've been improved from vSphere 4 but I need to know how. For instance, in vSphere 4, host profiles don't remember vSwitch or vmk MTU values - they always default to 1500 which is pointless when you have a vmk and vswitch setup to use a MTU of 9K for iSCSI connectivity for instance...

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks, Steve
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveAntle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Troy but I'm actually looking for very detailed specifics - does this documentation exist or is it something that you have to figure out by use of trial and error?

Steve

Thanks, Steve
0 Kudos
jeremyw9al
Contributor
Contributor

I've just found out the hard way that although you can specify the MTU in vSphere 5.0 update 1, that when I check compliance or apply host profiles it does not detect nor correct a mis-matched MTU. I'm using traditional vSwitches and my vCenter and ESXi are both 5.0 update 1.

The host profile feature is a good idea, but bugs like this are serious and cause production outages if you rely on host profiles for auditing or correction of host configuration. I continue to be of the view that this feature is not yet ready for production environments.

0 Kudos