VMware Cloud Community
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Host Profile Noncompliant

We are experiencing an issue where our Host Profile fails in our ESXi 5.0 environment. One of the configuration settings is Advanced Configuration Option > Annotations.WelcomeMessage. We have it set to "Configure a fixed option", and have both fields populated with data. When I apply the Profile, I get the following message:

Failures Against Host Profile

Option Annotation.WelcomeMessage doesn't match the specified criteria

The strange part is when I do check the host, the Annotations.WelcomeMessage is filled in with the correct values. When I check the compliance on the profile again, it still shows as failure. Additionally, when I check the compliance against the reference host it does show as compliant. Any idea why this would happen?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And just to test, I created a new Host Profile using a different reference host. Of course this time everything works perfectly. Strange!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

im using esxi 5.0 but i did not see  Annotation.WelcomeMessage on host prifle policy. i can only see login banner. i have alternatively added welcome message by esxcli command ( # esxcli system welcomemsg system set -m= " welcome message"). if it is not necessary please remove this profile and do host compliance

elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I view the profile, the setting is found under "Advanced configuration option". We wanted to include this in the host profile so that we did not have to configure this on each host manually.

I did verify that the actual option and message are the same on the profile as they are on the host (Advanced Settings > Annotations). What I do not understand is why host profile doesn't see this.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

alternatively u can add the annotation via command mode on esxi ( as i mentioned)  and create new host profile policy from there?

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply dhanaranramesh. I guess I was hoping to find out why it doesn't work with Host Profile though.

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interestingly, I created another host profile with the same exact settings for another cluster in a different location. This one applies the Annotations without issue. Very strange.

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And just to test, I created a new Host Profile using a different reference host. Of course this time everything works perfectly. Strange!

0 Kudos