VMware Cloud Community
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host CPU is imcompatible.?!

Ok

I have done a lot of looking this up and have found ways to fix this and the guest level, the problem is I have three DL580 G5s that are completely alike,

Same memory, same CPUs, same network cards, same BIOS level.

But when I try to migrate a guest to the second of the three I get a above title and Mismatch Detected for these Features: *NX/DX and so on.

I have two clusters (First is DL380 G5s x 6 second is the DL580 G5s x 3), I do not have this problem with the first cluster, I can VMotion a guest in the first cluster at will (in the first cluster only), I just tried VMotion a guest from the first to second cluster (powered Down) no problem.

Now what I find is that guest from the first cluster can be moved to ANY of the hosts in the second cluster NO Errors!

Anyone have any ideas to what I am up againest?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vGuy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vGuy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What model of CPUs you are using? have you enabled EVC on the clusters? Kindly have a look at the below articles:

EVC:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

masking nx/xb bits:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1993

hth...

0 Kudos
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are there possibly BIOS settings mismatches, or even more subtle, CPU stepping differences between the hosts? If the vMotion compatibility check is complaining about NX mismatches, that's generally because it's enabled on one host but disabled on another in the BIOS settings.

If you have the opportunity, you might turn on Enhanced vMotion Compatibility on your clusters. That should ultimately alleviate any vMotion troubles due to a CPU mismatch.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have 4ea. Intel E7330 procs in all the DL580s and yes EVC is turned on in the clusters.

I have read the article on masking the NX/DX, but what is funny is that the guest I vMotioned from the first cluster to the second cluster does not have this problem at all and NX/DX is enabled on it as well as all the other guests. 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Also check the bios setting for "VT" and "NX Bit" that they are the same on all hosts.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok just checked the EVC on the Second cluster it is not turned on, So I went to change it and now it is tell me that the host we are having the problem with does not have EVC compatitable HW, strange because all the server are the same.

Will check BIOS next.

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Intel VT and NX bit needs to be enabled in BIOS to use EVC. I would suggest you to go through the EVC article once as it might assist you in selecting the correct baseline too...

rlp62
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok all is good now, Went and checked the BIOS and everything was enabled, so I disabled everything and rebooted, went back into the BIOS and re-enabled VT & EP and everything is good right now.

Think we might have a bad proc in this server.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! 

0 Kudos