VMware Cloud Community
chocky0005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Affinity Rules and reserve esxi hosts

I'm trying to reserve a few ESXi hosts for some special VM's, I have used the DRS Affinity Rules to make the VM's run on the special hosts but other VM's are also coming on the reserved ESXi hosts because of DRS.

I have about 300 VM's running on 10 ESXi hosts running VMware 5.0 Update 2

Currently using Vcenter 5 update 2

I have just setup 3 new ESXi hosts running the same VMware 5.0 Update 2

The new 3 ESXi hosts need to be temporarily reserved for a project with 30 new VM's only but still be part of the main cluster as they will be used with the 300 existing VM's after the project is finished.   

I have an Affinity rule setup so the new VM's will only run on the new ESX hosts

But the problem is some of the other 300 vm's are getting Vmotioned with DRS onto the new hosts as they have lots of free resources.

There are new VM's being added to the 300 VM's all the time by other people that I can not control.

I'm happy to manually add My special project VM's to the Affinity DRS rule for the Reserved ESX hosts but can not have the "other people" manually adding new VM to another rule it needs to be automatic for them.

I would like to setup a global rule to say if you are not a VM in my special project DRS group you are not allowed to run on the 3 new ESX hosts.

Dose anyone know if this is possible? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why not move the hosts to a new cluster instead?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why not move the hosts to a new cluster instead?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Agree with linzo .

which is best solution .

" Find a place inside where there's joy .
chocky0005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply guys I'll talk with the team and see if they want to set it up that way.  Might have to redo the design doc's 😞

0 Kudos