VMware Cloud Community
TwiztedTD
Contributor
Contributor

High memory usage on server - java.exe and tomcat.exe

Hello I have vCenter Server, vSphere Client, vSphere update manager, and vSphere web client installed on my server.

I see that there are 3 java.exe processes taking up 2.3GB (all together), and tomcat6.exe taking up 750mb.

One Java process is taking up 1.2GB of ram.

Another Java process is taking up 570 MB of ram.

Another Java process is taking up 470 MB of ram.

So all together they are taking up 3gb of memory on this server.  Is this normal?

Or is there a way to get these processes down on RAM usage?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

How many host and virtual machines are you managing from that vCenter?    I see similar behavior in my processes from time to time and I've always felt that it was normal behavior.   

0 Kudos
fabro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with the tomcat.exe and java.exe process. I'm also getting a warning in my event log of resource exhaustion.

This symptom started in version 5.0.0 and now continues on 5.0.0 U1.

Does anybody know if this is a normal behavior?

Regards,

Fabro.

0 Kudos
ohauer
Contributor
Contributor

look here:

[start]->[Programs]->[VMware]->[VMware Tomcat] -> [Configure Tomcat] -> [tab Java]

On the Java tab you can change the settings for

- Initial memory pool

- Maximum memory pool

- Thread stack size

0 Kudos
jcarpenterME
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a fresh install of vCenter 5.0.0U1b that's managing 2 ESXi hosts with 1 VM each (presently), and resource utilization is very similar to the original post.

That's even after setting the Java memory parameters to 0 as recommended in some other threads specifically on the Tomcat memory issue.

Can anyone confirm whether that is excessive for such a small environment? It certainly seems to be.

0 Kudos
APSutcliffe
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a similar issue with the Java processes on our system over the last 2 weeks; have not been able to get any resolution via VMware support at this time.

However, I have found something that has so far seemed to fix the issue; memory committed has dropped from 98% down to more reasonable 42%. I'm posting it here just in case it is of relevance to anyone else; it has been a major concern to me and if this helps anyone then it will have been well worth the work to investigate and resolve.

The issue was in a setting for the resource pool; the Vcenter Server was sharing this pool along with one other VM. Select the resource pool (not the VM), the tab "Resource Allocation", the little view button "Memory"; and then check the entry for the column "Limit MB". In our case, instead of it being "Unlimited", it was restricted to just 2048 MB. Once changed, you need to restart the VM for this to take affect.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

You can try to reduce JAVA parameters for each service installed followed by service restart [OR] Server reboot

Default values for vCenter server installation:

pastedImage_0.png

Single Sign On:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.additional.9=”-Xmx” (default: “1024M”) to “256M”
  • Set wrapper.java.additional.14=”-XX:MaxPermSize=” (default: “512M”) to “128M” (or half of the Xmx value chosen before)

Inventory Service:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.maxmemory (default: “3072”) to “384” (MB)

Tomcat:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.additional.9=”-Xmx” (default: “1024M”) to “512M” – “768M”
  • Set wrapper.java.additional.14=”-XX:MaxPermSize” (default: “256M”) to half of the Xmx value chosen before

Web Client:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.initmemory (default: “1024m”) to “256m”
  • Set wrapper.java.maxmemory (default: “1024m”) to “384m”

Log Browser:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\logbrowser\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.maxmemory (default: “512”) to “256” (MB)

Profile Driven Storage:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Profile-Driven Storage\conf\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.initmemory (default: “256”) to “128” (MB)
  • Set wrapper.java.maxmemory (default: “1024”) to “384” (MB)

Orchestrator:

• C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Orchestrator\app-server\bin\wrapper.conf
  • Set wrapper.java.additional.3=-Xmn (default: “768m”) to “256m”
  • Set wrapper.java.initmemory (default: “2048”) to “384” (MB)
  • Set wrapper.java.maxmemory (default: “2048”) to “512” (MB)
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos