VMware Cloud Community
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Memory Usage VCenter

Several months ago I upgraded from vcenter 4.1 to 5, and at that time I decided to virtualize my VC system. Since that time I have noticed responsiveness is not what I am use to when performing tasks sometimes (not all the time). Checking the VC server itself it seems to use up as much ram as I give it. Currenrtly I have 4 vCPU's and 16GB ram allocated and the VC server is using 13GB of ram. Looking at resource monitor on the VC system it looks like java and tomcast6 are the biggest offenders although I don't think what I am seeing adds up to 13GB of ram usage. (Have to dig deeper on that) I guess my question is has anyone run into this issue? I am not sure if this is something with version 5 or if it's an issue with virtualizing the VC system.

VC System = Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

13GB of memory is a bit hight with respect to vCenter Server service. Check the JVM maximum memory pool setting in tomcat configuration.

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2010/09/06/vcenter-server-jvm-memory/

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I had made those changes before I posted this discussion this morning. Currently showing about 8GB of memory usage, but that is normal after restarting services.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is your database on the same server as vcenter?  Database products (like SQL) tend to chew up about 80-90% of all the free RAM by design to improve performance. 

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, my DB is located on a seperate HA SQL cluster. I should have mentioned that in my original post.

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue ended up being a memory resource allocation limit that had been set without my knowledge.

0 Kudos
mindli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nimos

Could you explain further what the problem was? I have exactly the same issue and constellation as you. I can give more and more RAM to vcenter and it ends up being used... SQL also on a separate VM.

Thanks

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit settings on that VM and look under the resources tab. Make sure you do not have any memory resource limits set. My issue was somehow I had a limit set and that was what was causing issues with my VM running VC. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos