VMware Cloud Community
ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

High Availability with a NFS Data Store ?

Hi,

Is it funcionality an HA configuration with the virtual machine over a NFS data store in the network??

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMikeMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi el,

VMWare has the absolute requirement that it not lose connectivity to the NFS server so your test is invalid from the perspective of the VMWare server. Review this post from Symantec regarding issues with NFS datastores and VCS.

Symantec identifies the issue as being VMWare related but IMHO its more correctly a NFS protocol issue in that there is no well defined process for a NFS client to "understand" that the NFS server is not reachable.

Basically its working as designed and your test exposed a flaw with the NFS protocol.

regards,

MikeMikeMike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it works, We are using it on NFS on NetApp

ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, so I have a problem jejeje, the HA doesnt work.

I have all configured (with 2 esx with 3.5), so:

- HA enabled,

-One host failure permited.

-High priority to restart virtual machines (in the cluster, and mainly in one virtual machine specifically).

-Enough resources are avalaible in the destination esx.

-I take off one of the network cable in one esx, then it appears on grey and not responding. The virtual machines running on it, appears on grey and disconnected, but nothing else occurs.....

any idea?

0 Kudos
MikeMikeMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi el,

VMWare has the absolute requirement that it not lose connectivity to the NFS server so your test is invalid from the perspective of the VMWare server. Review this post from Symantec regarding issues with NFS datastores and VCS.

Symantec identifies the issue as being VMWare related but IMHO its more correctly a NFS protocol issue in that there is no well defined process for a NFS client to "understand" that the NFS server is not reachable.

Basically its working as designed and your test exposed a flaw with the NFS protocol.

regards,

MikeMikeMike

0 Kudos