VMware Cloud Community
niksun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Please help

Hi ,

I want to configure two vlan for two different subnet on vcenter.

Can anybody please help me,how can i configure two vlan on vcenter,i have configured two vlan on cisco switch and configure esx server port in trunk mode,but i am not able to ping any vm from outside.

Regards

kshitij

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One part is the setup of the physical switch ports as trunk ports (what you already did), the second part is to create port groups on the vSwitch(es) attached to these trunk ports and configure the appropriate VLAN-ID in the properties.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One part is the setup of the physical switch ports as trunk ports (what you already did), the second part is to create port groups on the vSwitch(es) attached to these trunk ports and configure the appropriate VLAN-ID in the properties.

André

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Andre indicated you will need to create port groups configured for with those VLAN IDs on the virtual switch(es) on the individual  ESXi hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
niksun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your reply

But when i add esx port in trunk mode on physical switch,i can not ping its IP.

i have 32 cisco blade servers,in my senrior i have to create and delete vm as per requiment,so i just want to know is EST mode is good for my senario or we have to use some different mode,because in EST mode i have to manually add VM in respective vswitch,whenever i delete VM.

also i want to know i need to create two vswitch or we can use only one vswitch for both the vlan.i have never done this senario,please help me for configuring this senario.

Regards

Kshitij

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

also i want to know i need to create two vswitch or we can use only one vswitch for both the vlan.i have never done this senario,please help me for configuring this senario.

I am not a Cisco expert, but you can use 1 virtual switch for BOTH VLAN (and probably as many VLAN as you want).  You have to use Trunk mode and QOS?  I can't remember exactly.. but we have it working in our organization, but I didn't set it up.

You just have to enable TAG on the VLAN switch, and your vSwitch will "see" all the VLAN's once they are configured correctly.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You use Cisco blades and the Cisco sales people didn't sell you the NEXUS 1000V add-on? Must have been the junior sales guys :smileylaugh:

You can setup the virtual switches as you like. It actually depends on your needs and the blade's connectivity (mezzanine card).Unless there are special requirements, I usually connect the ESXi hosts to trunk ports and configure one vSwitch with multiple uplinks for the virtual machine networking, with port groups for the different VLANs (VST mode).

Since you mentioned EST modes, I assume you already read http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

You use Cisco blades and the Cisco sales people didn't sell you the NEXUS 1000V add-on? Must have been the junior sales guys :smileylaugh:

We had a discussion with Cisco I don't remember the specifics, we are a pretty big partner with them.  They came out did their spiel on new switches, talked to our Internal Network staff.. our staff REJECTED the Nexus, they don't like it.

Like I said, don't remember what was said (most of it was WAY over my head) but suffice to say we don't have Nexus either, because it wasn't as good as the other stuff Cisco has..

I agree though if you drink the cisco server kool-aid the least they could have done was include Nexus..

0 Kudos
niksun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to create two vlan for two different subnet..

1. i have configured two different vlan 192.168.1.1(vlan2) and 172.168.1.1(vlan3) on physical switch,and configured vcenter in vlan 2(192.168.1.7) and esx server (192.168.1.4) on trunk port and some other servers in vlan 3.

2.i want to configure different subnet vlan on esx server,but i can not ping vm which are in vlan 3 (172.168.1....).

3. when i put esx server on trunk port on physiacl switch it loss connectivity.

4. i configure one port group on vcenter for vlan 3, and put one VM (172.168.1.20) in that port group,but can not ping.

Please suggest what i need to do....

Regards

Kshitij

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To find out what's wrong, please provide:

• a screen shot of the virtual switch configuration
  • the configuration of the physical switch ports

You may also want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004074 for a sample configuration.

André

0 Kudos