VMware Cloud Community
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help with wierd Vcenter SSL cert issues?

Hello All,

We just setup a new Vcenter server with 2 ESX4 hosts. Everything works fine, however when we loging to the DNS name of the server (VirtualServer) It prompts for the SSL cert twice. Once for the DNS name VirtualServer and Once for the IP address. If we login via ip address instead of DNS name it only prompts us once. We currently are not using an SSL cert so we have to just click ignore twice, however this is an odd behavour that I haven't seen before and could use some direction?

Is this a DNS problem ? or a problem / setting within vCenter. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks agian,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Double prompt is normal when VUM is enabled.

In our environment we installed SSL certs for main vCenter (no prompt for main VC) and then just installed/ignored messages for VUM plugin. Reasoning is that only a few admins are going to enable the VUM plugin. Most users have no need for it.

If you don't want to enable SSLs at all you can try this to disable them at the vSphere client level.

You can right click on your viclient --> Properties --> find the Target: on my system is "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

add a switch "-i yes" to the end make it like:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe" -i yes

From what I understand there is no way to disable alerts at the vCenter level. It must be done at the vSphere client or SSL certs need to be setup. That's of course your call regarding the security of your env.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still unable to reslove this error. Any suggestions

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

do you have VUM installed and the plugin enabled?

what did you use during VC install? Name are IP or both at different points?

in your client machines registry search for this key SSLIgnore. It should be under VMware Infrastructure Client and it should list the ignored keys. Are they different for the name and the IP of VC?

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response

Yes we have VUM installed and it was installed with the DNS name. However when I check the SSLIgnore key in the registry is is empty ?

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is there different behavior when the VUM plugin is disable/enabled? ie, you get one ssl message when hitting dns when VUM plugin is disabled?

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Once I disabled the Update Manager plugin the double prompting went away? Is there some setting you need to setup so it doesn't double prompt when update manager is installed ? or is this not a big deal and more of an annoyance?

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Double prompt is normal when VUM is enabled.

In our environment we installed SSL certs for main vCenter (no prompt for main VC) and then just installed/ignored messages for VUM plugin. Reasoning is that only a few admins are going to enable the VUM plugin. Most users have no need for it.

If you don't want to enable SSLs at all you can try this to disable them at the vSphere client level.

You can right click on your viclient --> Properties --> find the Target: on my system is "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

add a switch "-i yes" to the end make it like:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe" -i yes

From what I understand there is no way to disable alerts at the vCenter level. It must be done at the vSphere client or SSL certs need to be setup. That's of course your call regarding the security of your env.

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot this worked great. Thanks for the info this thread can be closed

0 Kudos