VMware Cloud Community
gp6778
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help with vmware-vpxa service

Hello all,

I really need some help! I am running ESX 3.5. One of my hosts disconnected from my VC cluster (4 hosts total). I think I somehow I followed a discussion and deleted vpxa rpm. So when I do service vmware-vpxa restart, it tells me cannot find the service. I still can find the vpxa.cfg file. But how do I reinstall the vpxa and get my host reconnect to virtualcenter?

Many thanks!

GP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

once the host is added back to your vCenter inventory, the vpx agent will get reinstalled on the host in question.  There should be no need for manaul intervention.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Remove the ESX host from the VC, then re-add it.

here is a KB though if you need it:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100371...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
gp6778
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

However I cannot find rpm vpxa package anywhere in the host.

if I do, rpm -qa | grep vpxa, it returns nothing.

Should I download a new one to the host? If I do, where can I download a new one?

thanks,

GP

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

once the host is added back to your vCenter inventory, the vpx agent will get reinstalled on the host in question.  There should be no need for manaul intervention.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The remove and re-add does the install for you - the KB was just so you could understand the full process (but no manual interaction other than remove - re-add required)

gp6778
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the reply.

I followed the article and restarted the services and deleted vpxa, etc.. I was only able to add host after many many try. But then it disconnected again from Virtualcenter after two hours. So I followed the steps again, it took me about another 6~7 hours (stop/restart the services and wait), it fainlly allows me to add the host again. But the process stuck at 80% for half hour. Then it tells me "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or thereis a network problem."

Any idea how to solve the problem? Any work around? Should I reboot the ESX?

thank you so much for your help!

GP

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1) check DNS configuration on the ESXi server and your DNS server that  ESX points to making sure you have the appropriate entries
2) Check host files etc in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolve.conf,  /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/vmware/esx.conf files
2) try to disconnect and reconnect your ESXi host from your vCenter  inventory, this uninstalls and reinstalls the vCenter agent using FQDN  and then with IP address if FQDN didn't work
3) Try Restarting both the vCenter management agent on the ESX host and  the ESX host management agent. Learn how to do this here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100349...
4) If the above didn't do anything for you, it could be lost  connectivity to a LUN, which can cause problems with ESX (less now than  earlier versions ESX 2.x), connect to ESXi host directly with VI Client  and perform a rescan of your storage adaptors and LUNs.

0 Kudos
gp6778
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up rebooting the ESX host. Then everything is backup. For some reasons, VC does not allow me to add the host back prior to the reboot. I believe this is because host lost connection to one of small LUN.

Really thank you for all your help!

regards,

GP

0 Kudos