VMware Cloud Community
shaffan02453
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help for migrating VMs to new host

I'm getitng new hardware in a site and I am migrating all VMs off are old hardware and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what I might be missing.  This is a vSphere 6.0 environment (both hosts and vCenter).  This is new/ different hardware and there's plenty of room (CPU/Memory) for the new VMs to go onto.  The same storage will be zoned to the new hosts (atleast temporarily).  I would also like to migrate to a VDS as the old hosts are all on standard switches.  Some VMs also have RDMs attached to them.  This is what I have for a plan... please let me know your thoughts!

1. Make sure all storage (including RDMs) are zoned/masked to the new site
2. Create a new cluster with the new hosts (with EVC enabled- these hosts will be a different CPU architecture)
3. Create a VDS on the new cluster- keeping same port group names
4. vMotion all VMs (including vCenter and PSC) onto new architecture (can I do this online?) and onto the VDS.
5. Power off all VMs with RDMs and vMotion those to the new site
6. Shut down old hosts

Can you let me know if I may be missing anything? I appreciate the help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You won't be able to live vMotion and switch between clusters with different CPU architectures (i.e. Intel vs. AMD).  So it sounds like you'll basically have to shut everything down before migration.

Because you'll have to shut your vCenter and PSC down for the migration, you're going to have to log in to the host these are on after you shut down and remove from inventory then add back to inventory on the new hosts to do the migration then power them back on.  Everything after that can be done through vCenter.  I would recommend moving a domain controller first, then getting it to the other side and powered up before you do the vCenter and PSC.  Then move on from there.

When you move the vCenter, you'll have to add it to inventory and then edit the settings to map the correct network.  If you're attaching it to a dvPortGroup, it needs to be set to ephemeral port binding or you won't be able to map it when it gets to the other side.  Otherwise, you need to have a standard  vSwitch/PortGroup available to attach it to.  Either way is fine, and if you accidentally botch it, you can bring it back to the old host side and power it back on from there if you have to.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You won't be able to live vMotion and switch between clusters with different CPU architectures (i.e. Intel vs. AMD).  So it sounds like you'll basically have to shut everything down before migration.

Because you'll have to shut your vCenter and PSC down for the migration, you're going to have to log in to the host these are on after you shut down and remove from inventory then add back to inventory on the new hosts to do the migration then power them back on.  Everything after that can be done through vCenter.  I would recommend moving a domain controller first, then getting it to the other side and powered up before you do the vCenter and PSC.  Then move on from there.

When you move the vCenter, you'll have to add it to inventory and then edit the settings to map the correct network.  If you're attaching it to a dvPortGroup, it needs to be set to ephemeral port binding or you won't be able to map it when it gets to the other side.  Otherwise, you need to have a standard  vSwitch/PortGroup available to attach it to.  Either way is fine, and if you accidentally botch it, you can bring it back to the old host side and power it back on from there if you have to.

shaffan02453
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Justin!

Are there any issues with migrating the VMs (while down) from a standard switch to a VDS? 

0 Kudos
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No, as long as you do it from vCenter, everything should work well.

0 Kudos