VMware Cloud Community
RyanCarnell
Contributor
Contributor

Help creating template of server running MOSS 2007 Enterprise ... ESXi 3.5 Update 2 / Virtual Center 2.5 Update 3

I am currently having to deploy 18 VM's (every Monday) to replace 18 VM's I delete (on Friday), for a class that I teach. These VM's are running nothing but a fully patched version of MS Server 2003 R2 SP2. I have to install MOSS 2007 (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007) on each and every server by hand. Is there any way (that anybody knows of) to grab an image and clone it to make it functional after deployment (and essentially sysprep to eliminate GUID/UUID duplication)?

I have searched high and low for any documentation on this, but my

searches have all turned up empty.

• Fully Patched - Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

• Fresh install of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP2

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - Since you are running virtual center - I would create a gold image of the VM with W2K3 installed and MOSS - exactly how you want it right before the class - the convert it to a template in Virtual Center (VC) - you will now be able to create exact images of this vm and if you prepared VC appropriately by extracting sysprep to it file folder structure VC will sysprep the new VMs so they are unique - check out the basic system administration guide - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_admin_guide.pdf - page 203 for templates and page 353 for installing sysprep into Virtual Center

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding point by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos