VMware Cloud Community
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help adding storage to vm host

Hello,

I have an old server that has a tonne of spare disk space, how can I use some of this space and attach it to our VM hosts? It will only be used as a test area to store clones etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I have an old server that has a tonne of spare disk space, how can I use some of this space and attach it to our VM hosts? It will only be used as a test area to store clones etc.

One option would be to install software like OpenFiler or FreeNAS on this server. Another option would be to use Windows with iSCSI target software like StarWind or go with a Linux distro and set up NFS on it. There are many options available.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If this is a windows box it is pretty easy. Just install the Windows Service for Unix (WSFU) and then create a folder and share it as an NFS share. The add it to the host(s) as NFS. Pretty straight forward.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if its a Windows Sever ..Above method Sounds so smooth.And if its a Unix box its more Comfortable to create a NFS share.

1.Create a new files system (if raw dis/space available)

2.Config the server as NFS Server

3.Export the file system as NFS Share with full r,rw permissions

4.From VMware Hosts create new Data store and add the storage as NFS

5.The Storage should be available to all the ESX Hosts you have added.

0 Kudos