VMware Cloud Community
DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Heartbeat Alarm Problems

Hello,

Does anyone else have problems with heartbeat alarms? I've configured our VC to generate a heartbeat alarm however it seems that nearly every time I reboot a VM the heartbeat alarm chirps (which is to be expected momentarily) however even after the host has come back up the heartbeat alarm still shows red.

If I go onto the VM and restart the vmware tools service it then will flip the alarm back to green. This happens 99.9% of the time when I have to reboot a host and is always resolved by bouncing that service... What's the point of the heartbeat if it doesn't sync back up when the VM comes back on?

VC 2.5 / ESX3.0.2 Build 61618

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
cshenberger
Contributor
Contributor

Dan,

I have the same setup VC 2.5 / ESX 3.0.2 b 61618 and am having the same issue. The heartbeat also changes to red when I vmotion to a different host. I did find however that instead of logging in and restarting the tools service, I can click edit settings on the VM and not change anything but click ok and this will set the heartbeat back to green.

Casey

MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan and Casey,

I'm experiencing this problem with the VM Heatbeat alarm I have created in vSphere. I'm also finding that opening the console or editing the settings will return the alarm to green.

Did either of you find a way to get this to return to green after acknowledging the alarm perrhaps??

Martin

DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm on 3.5 still so can't speak to vSphere, but I don't have the problem with it 'sticking' anymore FWIW. It still does blip though whenever a host reboots (and sometimes if they're being heavily utilized or backed up).

0 Kudos
MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up getting a response from VMWare saying that "we have found a bug that is pertaining to the exact issue at hand".

Would be very interested to hear of anyone else has experienced this though..

Cheers

0 Kudos