VMware Cloud Community
TheFlyingCorpse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hardware does not support EVC mode?

Hello,

I am getting 2 new servers today, that will expand my current cluster, they are both HP ProLiant DL385 G6.

In the cluster I already have HP ProLiant DL385 G5 x3, with 2 x AMD Opteron 2352 in each server (Quad-core)

To prepare for the new servers I checked up on compability and I could see that the servers was listed as supported with EVC mode. However when I try now to enable EVC mode for the cluster, I get an error regarding EVC mode is not supported by the hardware. This page lists AMD Opteron 23xx as supported: (Generation 3), using the WebHCL which also lists the servers as supported makes me somewhat comfused to why its not working.

I currently have ESX 3.5.0, build 213532 on the servers, with planning to reinstall with ESXi 4.1 when the new servers are set up in the same cluster to offload Smiley Wink

The servers was migrated yesterday from the old VC2.5 to the new VC4.1 which I've set up on a separate, new box. Other servers I have on that (no other clusters) seem to work just OK,even upgraded 20 from ESX3.5 to ESX4.1 during the week.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Best Regards,

Rune Darrud

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can check if your ESX identifies your hardware to be EVC compatible using this kb .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Which EVC mode are you trying to enable on your cluster: Generation 3? ESX 3.5.0 only supports Generation 1.

Regards

Franck

TheFlyingCorpse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am trying to enable Generation 1 Smiley Wink

The error I get when I try to move it into the "new" cluster which is set up for Gen 1 is: The host's CPU hardware

does not support Enhanced

vMotion Compatibility, which

is enabled for this cluster.

I just upgraded one of the hosts to ESX 3.5.0 U5, the error is still there =/

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can check if your ESX identifies your hardware to be EVC compatible using this kb .

0 Kudos
TheFlyingCorpse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Command:

esxcfg-info | grep HV

Ran it on the server:

2 * VT/AMD-V indicates that VT and AMD-V are available but are currently not enabled.

Seems like its BIOS, will update the thread when I've tested!

0 Kudos
TheFlyingCorpse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are a lifesaver! Thank you, it solved it :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It’s my pleasure, really.