VMware Cloud Community
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Status tab with drive fault errors

Does the attached image show that there is a problem with our storage or are these just general categories for the disks? We are having a current issue with our storage where our arrays keep moving off their preferred path and over to the other controller. When I set them back they move again. I'm not sure if its related.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

I dont think that the messages in the screenshot indicate any issues but for this issue you might want to check the multipathing policy for the LUNs for Active/Active arrays used Fixed and for Active/Passive use MRU. Check the recommended settings for that Array in VMware HCL

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

Im working with IBM and VMware to try and figure it out. Here is what IBM says:

The only errors we are seeing in the logs for the storage are "mode sel page 2  c" messages which is an indication of "Lun Flapping".

Lun Flapping is a  term we use when a host has multipathing configured but the host is trying to  send traffic from one
hba port and then from the other hba port to the same  logical drives.  Lun Flapping is caused by poor configuration.

It  results in the write cache on the controller being disabled until one path is  settled on....and that causes latency on the
hosts.

The fix for Lun  Flapping will be with software Configuration Support.

Please have the  VMWare admin refer the fail over policy in VMWare. The policy should be set to  Most Recently Used (MRU) and the WWPN should match the WWPN  of Controller A.

Here is what VMware says so far:

The messsages coming from the Storage Views are directly connected to the storage array. If you are receiving messages you should contact your vendor to make sure everything is ok.

We are using MRU but I assume the WWPN doesnt apply since we are using iSCSI

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

i just thought of something. Wouldnt this be for the local storage since its per host on the Hardware Status tab?

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

VMware said those are just general categories and if you have a Normal status with a green arrow then you are good.

For our storage issue it was a bad iSCSI port

0 Kudos