VMware Cloud Community
gkonheiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP ProLiant DL380 G4 cant install Windows 2003 x64 error ".... CPU is not compatible with x64 mode..."

I am trying to install a Win2003 64bit VM on ESXi 4 but get the error that x64 processor not supported. The server has an Intel E7520 Chipset and 2x 64bit Xeon processors running at 3.6 GHz. It should be possible to run VMs with Win2003 x64, right? Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

While ESXi 4 will install, the DL380 G4 platform is not supported. That generation processor (Xeon 51xx) supported 64-bit operating systems, but it does not have VT extensions. Therefore it cannot support 64-bit guests.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have VT enabled in the BIOS? Refer to knowledgebase article 1901 for the hardware requirements for running 64-bit guests.

gkonheiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a quick look but couldn't see anything in Bios or the MB docs. So if it does not have VT then i can not have any X64 guests?

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

While ESXi 4 will install, the DL380 G4 platform is not supported. That generation processor (Xeon 51xx) supported 64-bit operating systems, but it does not have VT extensions. Therefore it cannot support 64-bit guests.

0 Kudos
gkonheiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos