VMware Cloud Community
cmhippy
Contributor
Contributor

HCM and VDI - Linked Clones dies out

We recently implemented HCM with L2E stretched network.  The solution works perfectly fine.

We also have a VDI environment that works very well.

The two together, don't.

What happens is that as soon as the HCM Fleet VMs are turned on, within a couple hours the communication between vComposer (installed on our vCenter Server (6.0 U3)) and vCenter server gets degraded.  Specifically, linked-clones in our Horizon 7 Pools, run out.  What should happen is when a User logs off the session, it is restarted and made available to the Pool again.  This is what ceases to work.

I turn off the HCM Fleet, restart the VMware View and vCenter servers and everything starts working again.

We spent hours with VMware Support trying a number of things but this is what the issue actually is.

I just want to see if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Combination of HCM and View from 6.0 should work fine. However we are not sure what does Fleet Virtual machines mean . 1)Could you please explain what does Fleet VMs mean 2)As HCM connects 2 technologies, could you please let us know which side the view components fall.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
cmhippy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comment/questions.

I really rushed that post.

There are four VMs that have to do with Hybrid Cloud Manager.  Two gateway VMs, a Layer 2 VM and the Hybrid Cloud Manager VM itself.  They call these VMs a Fleet.

It appears that the Real problem for Horizon, specifically our Connection Manager VMs, it that they are now seeing two additional objects related to HCM.  A Host that takes care of migrating VMs between on premises and off premises and a datastore that does something else related to HCM.

When one of the HCM gateway VMs is turned on, those two object come "alive" and we are assuming that the View Connection Managers are having a hard time with these two objects leading the connection between them, the Connection Managers, and Composer on our vCenter server to fail.

As long as the HCM gateway is off, all is good in our VDI environment.

What we would really like to do is Exclude these two objects from the View Connection Manager setup.  I don't know if this is even possible.  I have an SR open.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Thanks!

0 Kudos