VMware Cloud Community
B_vanHaastrecht
Contributor
Contributor

HA tries to start x64VM on x86 host

Last night we had a host failure in the cluster. In this cluster we have a variatie of ESX hosts with variating x64 en x86 CPU's. HA tried to start a VM configured as Windows 2003 Standard x64 on a x86 host. I've run the x64 test tool from VMware, and it states that this host defenetely does not support x64.

Howcome HA make's this mistake???

Thank you in advance,

Bastiaan v H.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

As far i understand itHA does not perform a x64 vs.x86 check when you have a host failure. It will just start up the guest

on a running server in the HA Cluster.

So i think you have to put your x86 and x64 hosts in different clusters to solve this.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

HA is only detect the heartbeat connection for the ESX host level. You should split your host to different cluster to avoid the same thing happen again.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos