VMware Cloud Community
cfritze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA agent on X in cluster Y has an error, maybe a licensing issue? BUT...

Hello everybody..

I still have an evaluation license here (running out by X-mas) and today I wanted to test HA/DRS clustering.

I created a new cluster and dragged into it the two ESX hosts I can currently use. HA agent is enabled on the first host but on the second I get the error message "HA agent on IP# in cluster testcluster in testcenter has an error." This does not depend on the order in which I drag the hosts into the cluster. The first host to enter the cluster gets its agent enabled, the second does not, so I wonder if this is a problem of the evaluation license? On the other hand, 'Configuration' -> 'Licensed Features' on either host tells me that DRS and HA are licensed for two CPUs. And quite obviously I have ESX licensed for at least four CPUs (two hosts with two CPUs each seem fine for the VC). Wouldn't make much sense to license less CPUs for HA than for servers, right?

The two hosts are identical in hardware equipment and VMware configuration, they are not yet listed in our DNS but have identical /etc/hosts files.

What else could it be? Any idea?

greetings

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

are the /etc/hosts the same on all hosts? and are the hosts in there?

should be like so on each server

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx esx1.server.name esx1

afaik it needs the IP the fqdn and the servername

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualGnana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your license configuration seems to be perfectly alright. May be the problem could be with the DNS configuration. Would suggest try adding the entries of these servers into your DNS and check.

Gnaneshwara Babu.

zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

are the /etc/hosts the same on all hosts? and are the hosts in there?

should be like so on each server

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx esx1.server.name esx1

afaik it needs the IP the fqdn and the servername

0 Kudos
cfritze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Aaaargh, my 'license problem' was a typo.

I think I'll go banging my head to the desk for a while...

Sorry for the fuzz...

0 Kudos