Contributor
Jump to solution

HA agent error

Hi !

2x ESX 3.5 build 98103

VC 2.5.0 build 64192

Shared (LUN) SAN FC datastore

I try to create HA cluster.

When i add second ESX host, i get error "HA agent on 'esx host ip' in cluster hac in New Datacenter has an error"

This error appears exactly at addition of the second ESX host.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hav eyou confitmed DNS is set up properly? Are you able to resolve the HOsts by FQDN from the esx hosts and the VC server by FQDN? Were the hosts added to VC by FQDN? Is DNS ocnfigured correctly on the host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hav eyou confitmed DNS is set up properly? Are you able to resolve the HOsts by FQDN from the esx hosts and the VC server by FQDN? Were the hosts added to VC by FQDN? Is DNS ocnfigured correctly on the host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alex777,

a good approach to start is to exclude any DNS issues by modifying the /etc/hosts file on both ESX servers.

When both ESX servers are present in the /etc/hosts file of both ESX servers you are covered.

If HA now works you have a DNS issue..

0 Kudos
alex777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks ! A problem indeed appeared in DNS.

0 Kudos
alex777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Сreated a HA cluster.

Added 2 hosts to it. Created one VM.

In tuning of cluster specified - Isolation Response - Power off.

Now if will I in properties of VM disconnect a network this machine will be turned off, and then started an automat on other host of cluster ?

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes,

When you use isolation Response "Power Off". Then the virtual machine will be shutdown and restarted on another ESX host.

In case of a Isolation problem (service console network is not reachable anymore).

Chaitra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have samw issue as Alex has, but I am not sure about the configuration, however I have edited the host file but the issue still persist, it happened after the power outage.

0 Kudos
Chaitra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How is it gonna effect wether the host is added with FQDN or the IP or the Short name? And how do we check if the DNS is configured correctly or not.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

for a start Ping your machines by FQDN and short name to see if they respond, remember that 'NIX based operating systems are fully case sensitive, MyHost.MyDomain.net is completely different to myhost.mydomain.com, this is completely different to the Windows world where DNS is not case sensitive. this is one of the most common issues encounted with Naming resolution. people do their pinging from their Windows boxes and it returns "Correctly" remember to ping from the console of the Host. use Putty to gain access. and ctrl+C to exit the ping (unlike Windows it automatically continues pings)

If you do not have DNS on your Service console network, configure each host and your VM with a Host file. (Confirm case sensitivity again).

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tom,

Apparently the issue was resolved by increasing the console memory.

Thank you for valuable response. But I have more questions coming up. I

want to know that does it goona impact as to how I have added the host to the

VC?

0 Kudos