VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HA Question

Our environment at this time is not completely redundant. We are running HA but without redundant service console NICs. Even if I had redundant NICs, I still only have one switch in the data center.

I was made aware that we will need to reboot that single data center switch in order to add a new module and additional ports. This means that all service console NICs will lose connectivity for the time of the reboot (I am told 5 minutes max). A couple questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that this will likely cause an isolation event to occur?

2. To prevent an isolation event from occurring, is it best to simply disable HA on the cluster termporarily?

3. Are there any other options different from #2?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes by default your service console gateway will be your default isolation address - if your switch is down that connects your service console network - your default gateway will be unreachable. After 12 seconds the VM's will power off the running host......... however....... there is a config option in HA isolation response to leave the VM's powered on.... this will work for you is you select this option.

Disabling HA temporarily is just as easy as long as you remember to re-enable it :smileygrin:

One question however, if you only have one switch in your datacenter....... all your VM's are going to be running over this too aren't they?

jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the VMs obviously will be impacted as well. ..but nothing should be impacted too severely and our user community will be notified of the brief outage

0 Kudos