VMware Cloud Community
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

HA Disabled

Hi,

I have created a new vCentre 4.1 environment running 2 x 4.1 ESXi servers, I have turned on HA and DRS however I get the following error

Failed to increase memory reservation and limit for host /vim/vmvisor from 1232 to 1381. HA may not configure on the host

On the summary tab on each host it tells me HA is disabled.

I don't remember setting any reservations or limits as this is a default install so any help would be welcome!

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have any virtual machine in this cluster?

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have 13 VM's running inside the cluster

0 Kudos
marcin8
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Can you try to vmotion 1 or 2 machines from the affected host to another host in the cluster and reconfigure HA? See what happens.

0 Kudos
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Look CPU and Memory resource reservation and limit for every virtual machine, maybe you overlook and give to much reservation or limit to one or more virtual machines. Use PowerGui software....it's a nice tool for such a things.

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can't migrate any VM from 1 host to another, when I try to migrate I get the error in the first attachment. I have checked through the settings on all my VM's and they are all setup the same way in terms of CPU and memory reservation - again I have attached a screen shoot. All VM's were built from a 2008R2 template which had a very straight forward config no CPU or memory reservations were configured.

Thanks

0 Kudos
marcin8
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, switch off the HA and then try to migrate a VM. What happens?

0 Kudos
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

If I turn off HA I can successfully migrate my VM's

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion however I have applied that fix to both my ESXi host's - the first time it didn't take the change however after applying it the second time I have my memory set to Unlimited - however it fails with almost the same error

A general system error
occurred: Failed to
increase memory
reservation and limit
for host/vim/vmvisor
from -1 to 148. HA
may not configure on
the host.

Thanks

0 Kudos
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, than you actually have problem with memory host/vim system resource pool. See my link in previous reply and set memory to unlimited and than turn on HA and try it again.

0 Kudos
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check ntp settings on both esx hosts? I had the similar problem when HA didn't work because ESX hosts had different time. My error wasn't the same as your but you never known Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
marcin8
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried to turn HA after that? Did you get the same error?

0 Kudos