VMware Cloud Community
damogill
Contributor
Contributor

HA Agent Configuration Issue

Hi,

I have 4 ESX 3.5 Servers running that are being managed by Virtual Center, at prescent I have only got one Service Console configured on the primary NIC, the 2nd NIC only has a Vswitch with port groups. This has raised an issue at the cluster level "Host x.x.x.x currently has no management network redundancy" (one for each ESX Server)

So I have added a second service console on the 2nd NIC and added a DNS record for the new IP address against the same host name. so SRV-ESX1 has a resolution of both 10.173.61.1 and 10.173.61.10.

When reconfiguring the HA agent I get "an error occurred during the configuration of the HA agent" from searching about the community I believe that this is caused by DNS issues.. what is the best way to configure it? At the moment my DNS round robin solution doensn't seem to work. I have also edited the host file to exclude the static mapping of SRV-ESX1 to the installed IP of 10.173.61.1 but still get errors.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you added your second service console path to the Advanced HA Configuration. think the options should be das.AllowNetwork0=xxxxxx and das.AllowNetwork1=xxxxxx

0 Kudos
damogill
Contributor
Contributor

Dont think it applies, the implimentation guide says "This parameter allows HA to filter port groups used for the cluster communications" appears to be used when you have service consoles across different subnets and need to allow them to commuicate. Both of mine are on the same network.

I tried anyway but no joy.

Also found that DNS is no longer used for HA since ESX 3.5 U2, instead it uses "/etc/opt/vmware/aam/ft_hosts" file

Still lost on this one Smiley Sad will keep digging...

0 Kudos
damogill
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed it by simplifying things.. moved both Network cards to the same vswitch with a single service console and vmkernel, having both network cards assigned provides the redudancy it needs. Error has gone Smiley Happy Just need to apply to the other servers :smileygrin:

0 Kudos