VMware Cloud Community
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor

Guided Consolodation - What's the Deal?

Hi guys.

I'm trying to learn a bit more about guided consolidation in VCenter. I haven't been able to find much useful doco or answered posts to assist. In particular I'm trying to find out what's "under the hood", as clicking a button, waiting a day and observing 4 green dots and "high" confidence is hardly a convincing evidence to management that the box is a good candidate for virtualization.

I'd like to understand more:

What's being measured and how

How to better analyze the results (including if it's possible to see the raw data at various times)

If anyone has any experience with this tool and can shed some light on the gray matter that woudl be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Newb449
Contributor
Contributor

I sure have. It still doesn't tell me enough detail. Like where is the raw data or at what rate is the data being collected? If there is a peak period spike skewing the data it could arguably be diminished as the data is averaged over time.

I would have thought there would have been a bit more documentation on how the thing works from end to end (like a White Paper).

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm looking for the same thing. I am also having difficulty finding more specific information. Specifically for when a client asks. Anyone have links to more specific information? I think there is a more comprehensive business partner version and although right now, I'm really just looking for details on how the virtual center 2.5 consolidation button functions, I'd like to understand the differences between that and this other apparently more robust "version".

0 Kudos