VMware Cloud Community
LJM73
Contributor
Contributor

Guided Consolidation Not Collecting System Information

VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1 Build 84767.

I have configured the consolidation settings/credentials to use a domain admin account, granted that account 'Log in as service' rights on VirtualCenter server. I am able to browse the list of servers in the domain and add them to analysis. The service status tab shows all services running.

The analyis tab show the physical servers status as "Collecting system information", but never completes and does not populate any of the other fields (CPU info, Memory info, CPU Usage, Memory Usage). I have let these run for days.

The Collector (vcpCollector) process is running on the VirtualCenter server and seems to be doing something (CPU usage fluxuates).

Is there a log file I can take a look at? There seems to be no related messages in the Event Log.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

on the target servers do you see attempts by the VC to collect data? The VC log should show informaiton - vpx.log and it is stored on your vc server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
LJM73
Contributor
Contributor

On the target physicals, I don't see anything in regards to remote connections from the VirtualCenter server -- nothing in Application, Security or System logs.

The VC logs also don't show anything regarding Guided Consolidation/Capacity Planner events as far as I can see. Is there a specific event/keyword I can look for?

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get anywhere on this issue? I'm having the same problem...

0 Kudos
LyleMagdalinski
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, no. I tried creating a separate AD account for the Capacity Planner service with Domain Admins group membership, but that didn't help.

0 Kudos
arthurvino1
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue.

System finished collecting info on one server and its ready for consoldation, while multiple other servers are collecting for many days and no updates.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
fahdp
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same issue, however slightly different.

I have given it log on as service rights and added a domain admin account as default credentials. I can see some servers( and analyse them ), however there are lots not showing up.

I even changed the synchronisation option to specify a time less than the default 1440 mins. No joy. It will not "read" from AD it seems.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
drmyers
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VM ESX 3.5 and I told the system to analyze my servers for consolidation. I have 10 servers, 3 of which just say "collecting system information" for the past 4 days. I have 1 domain and all the other servers consolidation analysis completed just fine. The 3 servers that do not work are windows2000 servers and the rest are windows 2003 servers. I don't know if that helps with this situation or not.

0 Kudos
HoosierCAB
Contributor
Contributor

Capacity planner logs should be in "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware Capacity Planner\Logs"

And, in general, the capacity planner service seems to be cranky. I had the best luck with changing the "VMware Capacity Planner Service" to run as a domain admin account, just providing the Domain Admin credentials to the client did not work.

Also, I had good luck going back after several machines had failed to start collection and readding them again, then they would just magically start working.

0 Kudos