VMware Cloud Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glitch in guest VM time sync on DRS migration?

We have a domain controller VM domain controller named ARUPRID. ARUPRID was auto migrated via DRS from one host (ESX26) to another host (ESX23) in our cluster at 6:49pm, July 2nd. Around this time, the domain controller, ARUPRID, began to have quite a bit of issues. The time was off on the domain controller so this threw our active directory infrastructure in quite a loop. My question is this: We have ALL our guest VMs set to NOT sync time with physical hosts.

Is it still a possibility that when the VM migrated via DRS that ARUPRID synced time to the host who's time was off? Perhaps a glitch of some sort? We are running ESX 3.0.2 with patches up to Feb 2008 on all hosts. For future protection, we are checking all our ESX hosts to make sure the time and hwclock time is set correctly.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

There are several options for time sync of a guest to a host, so I would have to say that yes, it is possible. I've seen manual options having to be set in these forums duirng power events, suspend events, and I'm not 100% sure about migration event, but I can't discount it off hand.

I would agree with the proactive action of making sure the ESX hosts are using NTP and are up to date, and that hwclock is set to sync with system clock.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any specific information on where all those time sync options for the guest besides vai VM tools? That is the only option I have seen.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, see here on page 15:

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos