VMware Cloud Community
_EoJ_Gismo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ghost entry of a VM in the original standard switch after migrating the VM to a distributed virtual

Hello all,

After successfully migrating a VM from a standard switch to a distributed virtual switch, the VM remains listed in the standard switch in vCenter.
In the VM settings, only the network connection to the distributed virtual switch is still present and in the ESXi GUI the VM is also only listed in the distributed virtual switch.

I have already tried to remove all NIC settings from the VM, but unfortunately the entry is still in the vCenter GUI.
A vMotion migration to another ESXi did not help either. I also tried removing the VM from the inventory. After I added it back, it was listed again in the standard switch.
Finally, after removing it from the inventory, I deleted the standrad switch from all ESXi. It was no longer present in vCenter until I registered the vm again. After that, the standard switch was available again, but the switch was not assigned to any host.

The VM is accessible in the network without any problems and functions correctly.
For other VMs that were migrated at the same time, the vCenter GUI entries in the standard switch were correctly deleted.

How can I remove this VM ghost entry from the standard switch?

Environment:
vCenter 7.0 U3 Build 19234570
ESXi 7.0 U3 Build 19193900

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_EoJ_Gismo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally, I was able to find the reason by myself....
The VM is the template for a Horizon Instant-Clone-Desktop-Pool and Horizon requires snapshots for IC - Pools.
After the migration of the VM form standard switch to the distributed virtual switch, I created a new snapshot and released it in Horizon. But I have not yet deleted the old base snapshot.
After checking the pool, I deleted the old Horizon base snapshot.

... Now the VM ghost entry in the standard switch is also gone. 🤓

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
_EoJ_Gismo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally, I was able to find the reason by myself....
The VM is the template for a Horizon Instant-Clone-Desktop-Pool and Horizon requires snapshots for IC - Pools.
After the migration of the VM form standard switch to the distributed virtual switch, I created a new snapshot and released it in Horizon. But I have not yet deleted the old base snapshot.
After checking the pool, I deleted the old Horizon base snapshot.

... Now the VM ghost entry in the standard switch is also gone. 🤓

0 Kudos