VMware Cloud Community
raleysm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Getting VM to boot to USB drive for vCenter install

Any idea of why a VM based on the Linux template would be usb greyed out on existing usb drive or even if I add a new one so I cannot start the install of vcenter ? I went to another VM and enabled the usb and it did not pick up anything plugged into the server. Yes usb is attached to the front of the server box. I'm asking about this because the bootup will not see the usb drive or prompt anything on doing the install start up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vCSA image is not bootable. Deployment can only be done remotely by mounting the ISO image to a supported operating system (Windows, Linux, MacOS).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why are you thinking you need to boot from USB to install vCenter? vCSA is a Linux-based appliance that comes fully packaged. There's nothing you need to (or can) boot from in order to deploy it. You are supposed to mount the ISO on a workstation of your choice and deploy it via one of the available methods.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

bootup will not see the usb drive I guess you mean the ESXi setup, right? see

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2017/02/no-suitable-disk-was-found-when-upgrading-to-esxi-6-5-on-usb...

0 Kudos
raleysm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The last time we did this with support on another box it was done with the VCSA image from a USB drive. I cannot find anything on these drives that is the image.

0 Kudos
raleysm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The fix was supposedly on my OS as I'm running ESXi 6.7

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vCSA image is not bootable. Deployment can only be done remotely by mounting the ISO image to a supported operating system (Windows, Linux, MacOS).

André

0 Kudos
raleysm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes its not and just realized this is the one I have to use external to start and point it during the install. Thanks

0 Kudos