VMware Cloud Community
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting VM servers to automatically startup after restarting host?

Hello,

We had to restart a host recently, one the host came up I noticed a few issues:

1. That some server automatically powered on and some didn't?
  2. A couple of servers were missing, so I had to browse to the disk/lun and add to inventory, 2 of these servers were Vcentre and our Vcentre DB server.  I had to use VSphere to get all this running again.

Any ideas how I can amend any of these.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

That some server automatically powered on and some didn't?

Do you have HA setup?  If not, do  you have your startup/shutdown options configured?

A couple of servers were missing, so I had to browse to the disk/lun and  add to inventory, 2 of these servers were Vcentre and our Vcentre DB  server.  I had to use VSphere to get all this running again.

Seems to me there was a little more going on then just a reboot of an ESX(i) Host.

Can you tell us a little bit more about your enviornment.  You are using clusters? How many ESX(i) Hosts? HA?  Admission control enabled/disabled?

0 Kudos
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for the lack of info.

We have a single cluster with 2 hosts.  If I go to the properties of the cluster > VMware HA it says "Enable Host Monitor" is on and under Admission Control "disable"

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

when you powered cycled the ESX(i) Host, the running VM's failed over to the other Host in the HA cluster and were restarted, correct?  The VM's that did not failover, they were suspended or powered down?  If so, this is the expected behavior.  You are using the cluster settings for virtual machine options?

Have you checked your tasks and events on the cluster, you may get some insight to what did or did not happen.

0 Kudos
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I powered all the VM's down first before restarting.  i did check on the other hosts to see if the servers had been moved there , but they hadn't.

I will go though the logs again to see if I missed anything.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I powered all the VM's down first before restarting.  i did check on the  other hosts to see if the servers had been moved there , but they  hadn't.

if you powered down all the guests that were running on the ESX(i) Host, prior to restarting it, then no VM's would have failed over, as there were none running.

...and when the ESX(i) came back online, you would have had to manually restart every guest.

0 Kudos