VMware Cloud Community
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Generate reports from vCenter Server 4.1

Hello,

I have recently installed vCenter Server 4.1 and have licensed my hosts with vSphere 4.1 Enterprise Plus. I would like to know how can I generate reports from vCenter Server. My idea is to generate some reports maybe .csv files that can be mailed to management weekly and the report should contain how many VMs are in use, CPU utilization, Memory utilization, datastore statistics, Host statistics, etc.

So far I can view all the virtual machines spread across all my ESXi hosts in the vCenter Server but would be glad to know if there are any ways of generating reports from vCenter server 4.1

Looking forward to some responses.

Nikhil

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter by itself does not have the reporting functionality you are looking for.  You would have to go with a 3rd Party like Hyper9(Solarwinds), Vizioncore, Veeam, eG Innovations....etc

Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the reply, I do have Veeam Monitor 5.0 installed that can be used for reporting purposes but was thinking if vCenter Server 4.1 had some reporting functionalities then I could remove Veeam Monitor 5.0 from my systems and have 1 less application to manage.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no, vCenter is not a monitoring and reporting tool, it's a management tool.  With that said, most 3rd party tools listed above compliment vCenter and integrate into vCenter very well.

If you are looking for a VMware product, then VMware Alive would be a great choice.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Well in that case I think will continue using Veeam Monitor as am used to it and serves the purpose. I just thought if vCenter Server had some reporting functionality so as to make life simpler and everything is centrally managed.

Thanks for your responses.

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

In the performance tab con can export the graphic, or in the general inventory you can export all the vms, esx etc.

Today you havent an owner tool for reporting, maybe using vmware vcenter operations you have a more detailed info.

Like Troy, you can buy 3r party tools for that like vizioncore quest foglight, etc.

Diego Quintana

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos