VMware Cloud Community
newbie100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fundamental Qs :- Can a VM share memory from 2 hosts ?

Hi,

I am very new to VMWare ESX but looking at the docs, it seems that there is a capability to create resource pools by grouping physical ESX server hardware.

However it is not very clear if a SINGLE VM can run across multiple physical hosts ?

Say I have 2 physical servers :- each with 4 GB of RAM in a single resource pool.

Can I then run a VM and assign it 8 GB ???? (and actually use upto 7 GB ?)

I am gussing it is not possible to do this..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, a guest can't run on two physical hosts at the same time. It can only use the ressources provided by one ESX host.

Ressource pools let you group together the ressources of all ESX servers with in this pool.

Let's say you have two ESX servers with 3.6 GHz each. Then your pool has 7.2 GHz available for guests within this pool. However, this is not a contignous ressource, it is splitted over two ESX hosts.

By the way, if you can, don't use ressource pools. You have to know exactly what you do there and this is a good source for making things running worse.

The best ressource scheduler at hand is ESX itself. If you have DRS licensed use it. From our experience it is very good in distributing the load over your ESX server farm. If you want to set restrictions to guests I would do it at the guest level.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, a guest can't run on two physical hosts at the same time. It can only use the ressources provided by one ESX host.

Ressource pools let you group together the ressources of all ESX servers with in this pool.

Let's say you have two ESX servers with 3.6 GHz each. Then your pool has 7.2 GHz available for guests within this pool. However, this is not a contignous ressource, it is splitted over two ESX hosts.

By the way, if you can, don't use ressource pools. You have to know exactly what you do there and this is a good source for making things running worse.

The best ressource scheduler at hand is ESX itself. If you have DRS licensed use it. From our experience it is very good in distributing the load over your ESX server farm. If you want to set restrictions to guests I would do it at the guest level.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums,

No resource will always come from just a single host for a certain VM.

Duncan

Blogging:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".