VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Folders, different views and VM to folder relation-ship

I'm trying to wrap my head around vCenter's data model and the folder related stuff is confusing me. Would appreciate if someone can answer some questions I have below

1. Can a VM (or any entity for that matter) exist in more than one folder?

2. In vCenter UI, there are different ways to look at the inventory (Hosts and clusters, VMs and templates etc). If I create a folder in 'VMs and templates', that's not visible in 'Hosts and clusters' and perhaps vice-versa. Not sure what's going on here? Is it possible to create folders in 'hosts and clusters' view.

3. The concept 'data center' seems to be just another folder with some special/fixed semantics like it's the namespace for data stores, clusters etc. Is my understanding right? Similar to this I want to understand what a 'cluster' is

Thanks Rags

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

1) You cannot have an object (VM, Template, etc.) in two folders on vCenter at the same time in the same view (Host and Clusters / VM and Templates).

2) You can create Folders in the Host and Clusters view, but just at vCenter and Datacenter Level. To organize VMs in folders you have to use the VM and Templates view.

3) The Datacenter entity it's a boundary within vCenter. For example, you cannot move a VM between two Datacenters using vMotion. Datacenter entity is useful to separate the hosts which belong to a datacenter or another. It's mandatory to create at least one Datacenter entity on a vCenter Server instance.

The Cluster entity allows to bring together several hosts and enable some features like HA, DRS and DPM.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos