VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Folder structure persistence in vCenter SQL DB

As part of thinking about backup and recovery for vCenter Server, I'm looking at backing up the SQL database. However I noticed that the SQL database doesn't seem to have any information related to folders? It only stores the data center related associations but not folders. Does anyone know if this is by design or if not, where the folders are stored in SQL database?

Thanks Rags

0 Kudos
3 Replies
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if i am not wrong folders are usually defined at the ESXi level, to confirm this just log into one of the servers directly using vsphere client and see if it shows the folder structure there.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll check on this soon, but given that a folder can consist of multiple ESXi and even other sub-folders, it seems unlikely that this information is stored at each ESXi level. What do you think?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

They are not present at ESXi level - not even sure, when a folder consists of multiple ESXis, which ESXi to look into. Add to this, folders specific to different inventory views - very likely folder info is probably stored at vCenter server level.

Does anyone know where in database these (folder info) is stored?

0 Kudos