VMware Cloud Community
Narkis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Find Deleted VM Information

Hi Dudes,

In my environement some one has deleted a VM and I don't have no clue who has deleted the VM. I need to find who has deleted and when it was done. Setup has ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5.Your help much appreciated. Cheers!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Look in Events/Tasks for these records:

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at this script:

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Narkis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lam,

Thanks & sorry for my belated reply , I executed the script and it prmpting for delted VM name but it didn't return any result. Can you please tell me how to do further? I used VMware toolkit . Cheers!

0 Kudos
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

William,

I'm in desperate need to figure out who deleted a VM. The script that you posted. I'm sorry but I'm not a guru so I''m a little lost.

Where do I actually run this script? What tool do i Use?

thanks for help

0 Kudos
ctrople
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the script uses the VMware SDK for Perl.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/forums/vsphere_sdk_perl

There's a chance the event for the VM being deleted may have already rolled off the vCenter server.

Have you already tried going into vCenter, selecting the highest level in the tree and searching from the Events tab?

Depending on what the user did (remove or delete), you should see one of the following messages:

• Task: Destroy Virtual Machine

• Removed <vm name> on <host> from <datacenter>

If you can't find it in vCenter events, chances are the events have already rolled off and the script won't return anything either.

======================================

Chyna Trople, VCP

Monitor. Correlate. Act. | vWire.com

======================================

Chyna Trople, VCP Monitor. Correlate. Act. | vWire.com
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Agreed with ctrople response, if it's not in vCenter events, then it probably rolled over. I'm not sure how many admins have access to delete VM(s) but might be worth a shot to send an email out to see if anyone care to claim responsibility

Sorry couldn't be of more help

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Since as a non-SQL expert, I just had to do this..

On a vSphere 5.x setup.. here's the query I ran after selecting the vCS database..

select task_id, parent_task_id, start_time, username, complete_time, entity_name, descriptionid, complete_state from VPX_TASK
where ENTITY_NAME='MyVMName'

in the output  window,  look for the descriptionid -> vim.VirtualMachine.destroy = DELETED FROM DISK = It is history / gone...

based on --> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200907...

Cheers.

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos