VMware Cloud Community
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

Fedora 6 on VM?

Any one know if Fedora 6 is supported on ESX? I have an ESX server 2.5.3 Build 27728. After I installed the Fedora, it seems like Fedora can't find the NIC.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Late builds of Fedora has been known to crash my VM host's from time to time. So I'd be careful on production hosts. Good luck

0 Kudos
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

No flavors of Fedora are supported on ESX. None are on the HCL, and VMWare will pretty much say you are on your own.

That said, I have plenty of FC5 guests up and running just fine. FC6 has been problematic, so I've steered clear so far.

0 Kudos
D_Clary
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed FC6 as a guest of VMserver (ver 1.0.1 b-29996) running on an XP host. The guest is running a little slow and I have had one mysterious hang, otherwise it has been okay as a play thing.

The provided VMware Tools is not compatible with the stock 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen kernel that I am using. When I try to run configure script it errors out with the message that kernel "@@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE" is not compatible with the kernel header files that I pointed to.

Has anyone seen this message trying to build & configure VMware Tools source?

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
D_Clary
Contributor
Contributor

Follow up on my earlier post from this evening. You have to have the entire kernel-devel*.rpm. In my case I needed to download and install kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm

VMwareTools built, except for the shared directories feature. I'll have to look into that in the future.

The xorg.conf file that VMwareTools created was incomplete somehow and I had to revert to the xorg.conf.BeforeVMwareToolsInstall copy in order for X to start.

0 Kudos
Anders
Expert
Expert

I would look at CentOS instead. Still unsupported, but so close to RHEL that it will probably be trouble free.

\- Anders

0 Kudos
kapil
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly same prob,

"The provided VMware Tools is not compatible with the stock 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen kernel that I am using. When I try to run configure script it errors out with the message that kernel "@@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE" is not compatible with the kernel header files that I pointed to"

I have installed VMware workstation 5.5.1 build 19175, Host OS: windows XP professional 5.1.2600, SP2, Guest OS: Fedora 6 - kernel 2.6.18 -1.2798.fc6. Does anyone know the solution?

0 Kudos
blackdognz
Contributor
Contributor

I to have the same issue. Any solutions yet? I'll have a further look through the forums. Cheers

0 Kudos
FirewingJC
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with FC6, you need to search for the kernel development source code rpm with Xen support as the general install either skips kernel development source code in default install or installs a plain vanilla version of the source code lacking xen support sometimes, the necessary rpm package name is:

kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-1.2178.fc6.i686.rpm

This is specific for my system with a default FC6 install with Xen support, of course your setting may vary depend on the kernel version installed.

You can get into the add/remove software tool under applications menu on FC6, and go to the second tab and search for Xen, the kernel development source code rpm is there somewhere (make sure you have a working network connection to download the files). You may have to kill the root process "yum-updatesd" in order to use the add/remove software tool as it normally locks the rpm database. I actually regret using the default Xen enabled version of the kernel as I believe it actually slow down the system overall. General response is that hardware virtualizatoin is actually slower than software command emlation at this point.

Unfortunately, on my T60p thinkpad, even with VMTool set installed, the guest still runs very slow, any program more than the terminal gets sluggish, and I have a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM, so it's definitely disappointing, may have to try an earlier distro or Ubuntu for that matter.

What's interesting is I have a AMD Athlon 64 machine (3400+) single core CPU with 2GB of RAM runnig FC7 with VMserver running windows XP as a guest that does a much better job of being stable and speedy than running linux on a XP host.

0 Kudos