VMware Cloud Community
saymOU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to start VC2.0 service after moving MSDE to SQL Server 2005

I am in the process of upgrading the ESX Infrastructure, but before I do I need to move our Virtual Center Server database from MSDE to SQL Server 2005. Currently, I am running ESX 3.0 and VC Server 2.0. The SQL Server is located on a separate server from the Virtual Center Server. Moving the db didn't seem to be a problem; however when starting the VC Server service, it starts then stops immediately. This is the error in the log:

"Failed to init tableDef: Column VER_ID does not exist in table VPX_VERSION. Database version may be incompatible."

I have followed the directions in the following kb article with no success.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=6565318&sl...

Has anyone experienced this problem when moving the MSDE db to SQL Server 2005? The ODBC connection is using Windows authentication. The user logged on to the server is a server admin on both the VC Server and SQL Server.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MicahelMenne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the database side for failed logins. The VirutalCenter service runs under the computer account and not a user account. Also try setting up a SQL login and changing to that. I've had more success with SQL accounts.

saymOU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. We decided to ignore the service issue, and upgrade to vSphere Center to see if the upgrade would fix the problem. Once the database was upgraded, I was able to start the vSphere Center service using my username and pwd, which has access to the db. So, I think we'll create a service account that can access the db.

I checked the SQL Server logs prior to the upgrade, and found many Anonymous Login errors. It makes sense that a local system account can't access a remote SQL db.

0 Kudos
msmenne17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great to hear. I don't thnk I've personally encountered any problems with the service not starting except for database issues.

0 Kudos