VMware Cloud Community
annnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to reboot Vm machine

I am a newbie and don't know where to go from here. Please help! Smiley Sad

Here is what we have: VMClient version 2.0.2 Build 50618 with ESX Server Version 3.0.2 Build 52542. One of our VM machine which runs with Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 OS does not come up when we tried to reset it early today. The status bar shows 95% done and then hang. That active Tasks shows "Reset Virtual Machine" but when we click on tab: Inventory , Virtual Machine panel, none of the options which normally allows us to reboot, reset... are available. The machine just hung and won't come back alive. Smiley Sad

I went and looked around in the knowledge base and found this warning. I don't know if this is related to my problem or not. Please advice if you have run into this problem or know if this is related to the article found below. Thank-you so much! Smiley Wink

under Alerts section : KB 1006716 Unable to Power On virtual machine

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm glad it worked for you and please assign points if it correct/helpful to get us motivated as well Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Log into service console, and run 'service mgmt-vmware restart'. This should restart hostd and may fix the issue. If it does, you're good to go.

If the vm still does not start or give you the option to start, right-click it and remove it from inventory. Then, go to your browser, and right-click and select datastore browser. Then, browse the vm folder, select the .vmx file, right-click and add to inventory. This should put the vm back into your inventory. This should now allow you to restart. If this still fails, post the vmware.log file from the same vm folder and attach to your post.

-KjnB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forum Ann,

If restarted hostd process doesn't clear the problem, you might want to check out any hung process "ps -ef | grep "vmname.vmx" and then use "kill -9 PID" and than that should clear it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
annnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank-you so much gentlemen Smiley Happy I followed you suggetions and was able to kill the run away process. My VM machine is now back and running Smiley Wink

thanks again for your great suggestions! Smiley Wink

Ann.

0 Kudos
annnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input. I was able to kill the run away process and the

VM machine is now back on line.

Thanks again.

Ann.

Ann Nguyen

562-593-6754

nguyet.m.nguyen@boeing.com

0 Kudos
annnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank-you very much for your advise.

It works! Smiley Wink

Ann.

Ann Nguyen

562-593-6754

nguyet.m.nguyen@boeing.com

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm glad it worked for you and please assign points if it correct/helpful to get us motivated as well Smiley Happy

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos