VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to create a diagnostic bundle

When we attempt to export diagnostic data from VC 2.0.2, it fails and gives us the error message "Failed to create a diagnostic bundle". A fellow suggests that it may due to the DNS setting but we confirm that it is OK.

Your advice is sought.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried connecting the VI client directly to the ESX host and trying that way? Also are you able to run the command vm-support in a console session and is it able to generate an archive file?

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your advice. I have attempted to connect VI Client to the ESX Host but there is no option to export diagnostic data.

On the other hand, we are able to create the diagnostic data with vm-support through the console.

Besides, my supervisor would like to get the export problem fixed as he doesn't prefer staff to log in console.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at File \ Export \ Export Diagnostic data.

I have attempted to connect VI Client to the ESX Host but there is no option to export diagnostic data.

Did you take a look at the log for virtualcenter?

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Dave,

You are great and I get it. I only look at Administration and cannot find export diagnostic data there.

I am able to connect to the ESX Host via VI Client with "root" and export the diagnostic data.

I just wonder would it be a problem of the privilege used for the user mapping in VC Server ? It should be OK as I have already mapped VC user "VCuser" to "root".

Regares

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

It could be a disk space issue. If there is not enough free disk space on the host you are generating the diagnostic bundles on it will fail . When you do a vm-support are the files being placed on a different parition/mount?

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Finally, we find out that it is due to the problem with VC Server. When we unselect the "VC Server Diagnostic Data" select box, we are able to download the diagnostic bundles for all ESX Hosts.

We are still looking into the problem of the VC Server.

Thanks

0 Kudos