VMware Cloud Community
asbajaber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to connect to haost

I have a VirtualCenter with two VMware hosts in the same Virtual DataCenter. I ran out of space on one of the hosts so I tried to deploy a vertual machine from a template on the first host to the second host, but I got the following error: "Failed to connect to host". I tried also to migrate one of the virtual machines from the host that has no disk space on it to the new host to free up some space, but I got the same error message: "Failed to connect to host".

I feel that I'm missing something, but I don't know what. If anyone have faced this problem before please advice ...

Best Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you are using local storage, you will not be able to migrate VM's between differrnt hosts. You need to have a common storage visible to both the hosts to do so. Adding shortname might wont help in this case.

Hope this would help u Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ensure that both ESX hosts can resolve the FQDN of the other. A lot of people make HOSTS entries for each other ESX host in the infrastructure, especially if you only have two hosts.

-Justin
0 Kudos
asbajaber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi JaySMX, Thanks for your post

I've added the FQDN of each server to the HOSTS file of the other but it didn't resolve the problen. Even I shut the iptables service down to disable the firewall, but it didn't help !!

any idea ??

0 Kudos
asbajaber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi JaySMX, Thanks for your post

I've added the FQDN of each server to the HOSTS file of the other but it didn't resolve the problen. Even I shut the iptables service down to disable the firewall, but it didn't help !!

any idea ??

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what space are you out of vmfs or system os.

also add the shortname to the hosts files for the hosts and virtual center.

you may want to try restarting the agents service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What do u mean by 'u r out of space in 1st host'. Are you using common storage or local Hard disk space in the server . If u r using common storage, is it visible to both the hosts?

0 Kudos
asbajaber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks {color:#000000}Rajeev S{color}, and bggb29 for your posts

I ran out of space on the ESX Server itself which is located on local hard drive

I've added the shortnames to the hosts file aswell

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you are using local storage, you will not be able to migrate VM's between differrnt hosts. You need to have a common storage visible to both the hosts to do so. Adding shortname might wont help in this case.

0 Kudos