VMware Cloud Community
ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to Export Virtual Appliance: An item with the same key has already been added

Hi all

I'm trying to export a virtual appliance but keep getting a "Failed to Export Virtual Appliance: An item with the same key has already been added" error when every i try with 2 or my 6 VM's

The guest OS's in question are "Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Server" a "CentOS5"

ESX Server 3i

VCS 2.5x

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor

and the answer is... you can not export a virtual appliance that is in a snapshot state.

oh, and remove any raw device mapping unless you want to export your LUN data in the process.

0 Kudos
fmendoza
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same error -- so how do you move the virtual appliance OUT of the snapshot state? I tried to revert to a previous snapshot and that didn't work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor

select "delete all"

0 Kudos
jmarctech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this thread! I found it via Google and I am new to vmware myself.

Pretty confusing lack of good error messages there. I then deleted my snapshot directy out of my data store and got nervious when my snapshot manager still had an entry that it seemed to take a long time to delete (then my store went offline for a bit).

Greatfully, it snapped back and I got my export started, whew.

0 Kudos
jfbarthe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys. This helped a lot more than the error message in the first place.

One thing I would like to mention is the fact that you keep all your changes when youdelete the snapshots.

It consolidates rather than revert to original stage

Thought it was important to point out when talking about deletion of snapshots.

It worked great for me, so thanks again.

0 Kudos
Dalimonster
Contributor
Contributor

Do I HAVE to delete all my snapshots? Isn't there a way of applying the changes without loosing my snapshots? What if I want to go back to the previous state? That's why I created the snapshot to begin with.

0 Kudos
RnDLabGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a new twist to this problem. I went to export a machine, realized someone made a snapshot so I went in and tried to delete the snapshot (after a couple failed attempts and disconnects) it finally deleted BUT, I was still getting the error. I went into the ESX console and used the CLI to removesnapshots in case there were orphaned ones not showing in the manager. I still get the error. I need to export this machine....does anyone know why I would still be getting the error after removing the snapshots? I also have another machine that's never been snapshot..EVER....and it gets the error too. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos