VMware Cloud Community
sgng
Contributor
Contributor

Failed DSN Connection (Upgrade VC 2.0.2 to VC 2.5 Update 2)

I am trying to upgrade my VC 2.0.2 Build 89601 to VC 2.5 Update 2 without any success.

"Setup failed to connect to the database pointed to by the given DSN. Please make sure that you have the proper permissions to access your database."

I have checked the System DSN, tested the connection successfully, but have no idea why the upgrade process is not able to pass the SQL authentication.

Any idea?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of db is it? Are you using sql native client?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
sgng
Contributor
Contributor

It is hosted on MS SQL 2000 with the latest service pack, using SQL Native Client.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

see this KB, it's probably just a permissions issue on the MSDB as well as the intance.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052

sgng
Contributor
Contributor

The VC database login account has been granted with db_owner privilege. The upgrade still fails.

Where is the MSDB? I don't see it in database list. I don't recall the SQL server instance needs to grant any special privilege to VC database login account.

0 Kudos
sgng
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have figured it out. The MSDB is missing VC db login with db_owner privilege. I have added the permission and now the upgrade process is showing "The DSN points to an older version of database repository which requires upgrading. The upgrade is required and it will make the repository incompatile with older productr versions."

I guess it is working now ...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

"db_owner/vc_login" is default but you need the addtional privledge of "sysadmin" which will allow you to update the database during the upgrade. This from what I understand from the DBA is more than you really need, but for some reason VMware designed it's schema updates to require this privledge, we usually have our DBA's grant this during the upgrade and then revoke after the upgrade. This should solve your issue. Also make sure you're using the Native SQL Client vs. the stanard ODBC connector.

0 Kudos
sgng
Contributor
Contributor

I added sysadmin server role to vc_login prior to adding db_owner/vc_login to MSDB, the upgrade did not go through. It warned me that sysadmin must not be added to vc_login to prevent this upgrade wiping out all my existing data.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

We just have db_owner and the extra "sysadmin", but you stated you had vc_login so I'm not exactly sure what role that holds. If you have an existing database, be sure to back it up before doing anything further.

0 Kudos
sgng
Contributor
Contributor

The vc_login is not a role. It is the VC database login account name. The backup has been performed. Thanks.

0 Kudos