VMware Cloud Community
Bryan70
Contributor
Contributor

FYI: One successful install of VirtualCenter using Oracle without SysDBA.

Hi,

We are using Oracle with VirtualCenter, but are not allowed to have SysDBA or even our own instance. Prior to installing, I noticed that in the forum there are more hints that outright "this worked for me". So...

This worked for me:[/b]

Schema in a general purpose 10.2.0.2 Oracle database.

I used LDAP for Oracle Database name resolution.

The actual SQL used by the DBA group to create the schema:[/b]

CREATE USER "VPXADMIN" PROFILE "DEFAULT"

IDENTIFIED BY "*******"

DEFAULT TABLESPACE "VIRTUALCENTER"

TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "VMTEMP"

ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

GRANT "CONNECT" TO "VPXADMIN";

GRANT "RESOURCE" TO "VPXADMIN";

GRANT "EXECUTE ON DBMS_LOCK" TO "VPXADMIN";

Two additional database updates were required for the VirtualCenter Server install to be successful:[/b]

1) Oracle system privilege create view was given to user Oracle account VPXADMIN. Resolved error: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges[/i]

2) To resolve a quota limitation error, the DBA gave unlimited quota on tablespace VIRTUALCENTER for VPXADMIN. Resolved error: ORA-01536: space quota exceeded for tablespace 'VIRTUALCENTER'[/i]

YMMV. I hope this is helpful for those of you in a similar situation.

Bryan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexPT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I have a similar issue and will try.

0 Kudos
AlexPT
Contributor
Contributor

Nope didn't work, we even gave it full dba rights in the end.

get: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges, even with full dba rights.

Strange, suggestions welcomed.

0 Kudos
rdkoziel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oracle 9i:

To use Oracle 9i with VirtualCenter, GRANT the 'CONNECT' and 'RESOURCE' roles to the VirtualCenter account.

Oracle 10g:

Oracle changed the uderlying permissions of the 'CONNECT' and 'RESOURCE' roles in Oracle 10g. As a result, Granting CONNECT and RESOURCE in 10g misses the following ALTER SESSION, CREATE DATABASE LINK, CREATE SYNONYM, and CREATE VIEW

Consequently, you must:

'GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE' to the VirtualCenter account.

'GRANT ALTER SESSION, CREATE DATABASE LINK, CREATE SYNONYM, CREATE VIEW' to the VirtualCenter account.

R. Damian Koziel Senior Technical Instructor Support Readiness Training VMware, Inc. 380 Interlocken Crescent Suite 500 Broomfield, CO 80021
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Nice to know, DBA's are usually paranoid about handing out the dba privilege unless it is absolutely needed.

0 Kudos
sunvm
Contributor
Contributor

HI ,

am haveing same problem with oracle 10g and vmware setup, when i try to login as a sysdba. ( ORA-01031: insufficient privileges).

My setup is Vmware Workstation 6.0 ,

O.S - Windows 2003,

DB - Oracle 10g,

please let me know the work around if you have solved the problem

Thank you

Sunil

0 Kudos