VMware Cloud Community
Samyboy
Contributor
Contributor

FT with a physical and a virutal machine

I have a physical Windows 2003 server (ServerA) running application software. I have converted physical server (ServerA) in to Virtual Server (V-ServerA) running on ESXi 3.5 hosts. I have Vshpere 2.5 running on the same 2003 server (Server A). I have 3-more VM's running on ESXi 3.5 hosts. One of the VM's running on ESXi host is windows2003 server.(V-serverB). On this (V-ServerB) I have installed Vshpere 4.0 with site recovery manager. I am able to connect my ESXi 3.5 host on the vSphere 4.0 running on V-serverB. Now I want to FT (Physical Servera) with virtual (V-serverA). In case physical server goes down it should automatically go to virtual server. I need some configuration assistance and assistance doing FT with physical and virtual Machines.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What you are looking to do is not possible - FT only works between virtual machines running on ESX 4.0 servers and being managed by vCenter 4.0. The virtual hardware of the virtual machines must also be at Version 7 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

You need a third party tool, like marathon, to accomplish this.

Ita feri ut se mori sentiat

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos