VMware Cloud Community
vsdp
Contributor
Contributor

Export of OVF Template - timed out

Hi,

We are running vCenter 5 U1, with a mix of ESX 4.0U2 and ESXi 5 U1 hosts.

Whenever I attempt to Export the OVF Template of  a VM from the File Menu in the VI Client, I get a  "Failed to Export Virtual Machine: The Operation has Timed Out."    This usually occurs after 20% or more progress with VMs that are over 20GB in size. Sometimes the timeout error even occurs after 100% progress.

There's been much discussion here:  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/232810 but no resolution nor workaround.

Q: Are there any settings  in vCenter/ VI Client, eg: vCenter Server Settings > Timeout Settings that may resolve this?

Are there any known workarounds or resolutions to this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi vsdp

Coould you plese let us know about below steps how much helpfull in your case.

If you are running 4.1 then (temporarily) add your office hosts to your production

vCenter and just drag and drop the templates from one host to another. Alternatively RDP into your production vCenter box, use the vSphere client on that

box to connect to your office vCenter, and export OVF to your production vCenter box. Then import it into your production vCenter.

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
AndreGarcia73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone

I'm VMware beginner (from Brazil)

I have the same issue.

Exporting .ova I got "Failed to export Virtual Machine: The operation has timed out."

I experience this error after setting fixed IP properties in VM (Windows Server 2003).

I imagine that this error was caused by client.

After  trying export in different environments using vSphere Client (Windows  XP, Windows Server 2003) I tried switch back the IP properties (of the  VM) to DHCP (My Network Places, IP properties, Obtain IP/DSN  automatically).

Than I tried to export again.

It makes no sense, BUT... IT WORKS !

(my  suspicious is that the exporting procedure makes something with the  information of the Network Adapter of the VM and, for instance, the ISA  server (I have in my environment) denies something causing the timeout).

Hope I help.

0 Kudos
eegilbert
Contributor
Contributor

I tried Andre's suggestion of using DHCP and for me this did not work. The OS is Ubuntu server 12.10 and I'm using ESX 5.1 no vSphere

0 Kudos