VMware Cloud Community
JSilvagiDMI
Contributor
Contributor

Experience with using Update Manager with Windows?

Hey all,

Doing my first rollout Update Manager and in my initial testing I have found that the ESX patching piece of it works awesome, but the Windows side seems less than desired. Went through and using the default baselines for both critical and non-critical patches and when it was all done ( with no errors mind you ) I ran Windows update to see if it caught everything. It missed about 5 updates, couple of them critical, but UM shows it was in compliance.

So this begs the question, is it reliable enough to not go through my typical patching methods? It is great for ESX, but not sold on the Windows side, unless I am doing something wrong.

Any insight?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
brad6841
Contributor
Contributor

We use update manager for ESX patching, but as for the Windows patching we utilize WSUS. It's very stable easy to use once you get an understading of the layout.

Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Well VMware Update Manager is really just a licensed product from Shavlik. Shavlik are reasonablly well respected in this area and their products are stable however I am not personally a fan of the VMware Update manager components and tend to lean towards the use of WSUS.

Carl