VMware Cloud Community
ETAFTM
Contributor
Contributor

Expand Datastore Question

I added storage to my LUN and want to expand the datastore in vCenter. Is it as easy as running the Expand wizard? Can it expand on the fly with VM's running? Do I need to backup my VM's before I do this? Will I lose and data?

This is a production array and I can't afford anything to happen to the data on this array. I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It depends what version you are running - if your ESX servers are 3.x no you can not expand your VMFS data store - with vSphere you can dynamically grow your VMFS datastore -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ETAFTM
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I left out that info. I am running vSphere 4.0. And I am using ESXi servers. I have been through the wizard to expand the datastore.

My question is as above. Can this be done on the fly? Do I need to shutdown VM's? Will I lose any data?

When it comes to my production servers I try to ask the questions before I just go off and do it and wish I hadn't.

Thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Yes it's that easy and yes it can safely be done 'live', though the VMs

may momentarily pause for a very short period of time as you do the

expand so you may wish to schedule it to happen at a time of low usage.

You may also wish to backup your VMs first if you wish.

I'd recommend having backups up to date and checked before doing

it. I know it's supposed to work and probably will, but if it's

important...I'd rather waste the time making backups and having them

than leaving it to chance.

http://serverfault.com/questions/99252/expand-datastore-question

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos