VMware Cloud Community
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Event ID 7024 - The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2) upon starting up VC Server

I am currently running VC 2.5 virtualized. WIndows 2003 SP2 with SQL Express 2005. Everytime I reboot the server I received Event ID 7024 - The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2). Eventually I am able to manually start the service and everything is fine. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
53 Replies
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have IIS installed. I have added the dependencies for SQL Express and I still get the problem with Virtual Center Server Service not starting. It will start manually. I have a Snapshot of WInXP SP2 that works. When I upgrade to SP3 and add all the patches, then it does not work. IIS is not installed in either case.

0 Kudos
RBanse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My fix for this error was that my SQL account that I was using for the ODBC connection (SQL installed on a seperate box) had it's pwd expired. Easy fix for me. Turn off pwd expiration for the account in SQL and then start the VCenter service. Looks like this error covers many different scenarios though.

0 Kudos
tjwreds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a similar problem. We just transitioned from VCenter 2.5 to vSphere 4 Virtual Center. Our Virtual Center(s) and SQL servers were on separate machines. our service account that the Virtual Center Service ran under on VCenter 2.5 worked fine, but would not work running on the new vSphere 4 Virtual Center machine (we moved the Virtual Center Service to another computer instead of upgrading it). Our Service Account has the logon as a Service right on the vSphere Virtual Center server.

The fix was adding our service account to the Local Administrators group of the SQL Server. I'm guessing that the account might not need that much permission on the sql server, but I'm unsure of what specific permission it requires there. Our Service Account is the same account we use for our ODBC connection to the VCDB which has the "dbo" right to the DB. However, this is the only way we've found that the service account can start the Virtual Center Service on the Virtual Center Server.

For Security concerns. I'm going to suggest that we do not allow our Service Account to logon interactively to anything and see if this impacts the ability to start the Virtual Center Service. We'll see. I plan to post my results.

tjwreds

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

same for me - the install resets the service to use the local computer to logon - on a remote DB this fails, so you need to reset the service to start as the correct user.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Titho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Je suis absent du bureau sans accès à ma messagerie jusqu'au 19 aout 2009. En cas d'urgence, vous pouvez contacter le Service Support MGE support.mge@sage.com.

Cordialement

0 Kudos
acspeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the new vsphere, I had this issue, once I installed updatemanager plugin and converter plugin...the error went away.

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just adding this for anyone searching --- If you have vranger for backups, you must stop the vranger services (or just turn off the machine), start vcenter, then turn vranger back on. there is a fix for this in the works for vcenter.

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
vmkillies
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got the same error message but saw on the VC log file :

Failed to load tableDef 43 from database: "ODBC error: (42000) - [ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The log file for database 'vcenter' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space." is returned when executing SQL statement "update vpx_sequence set id = ? where name = ?"

Failed to load ComputeResource table from database

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

Resolved by - removing the transaction log files from Database.

0 Kudos
PMEYW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same error which was also related to SQL... We run a SQL stretched cluster that hosts our VC DB.... TLog disks were full, which were stopping the launch of VC service... Deleted old TLog files and everything ok.... Might help someone!

0 Kudos
njovanelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Batfink, IIS was the problem for me as well!

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NM problem went away on its own after installing windows updates, go figure.

Message was edited by: ashleymilne

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After battling with this error on vCenter 4.0.0 Update 2 for a cuple of hours, I figured out that it was IIS service that had stolen my port 443, so this error can also mean that the ports vCenter wants to use are occupied.

0 Kudos
mrfito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

had the answer to our problem. Thanks

0 Kudos
Chrisedebo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

also, check your dns...... Smiley Happy