VMware Cloud Community
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Essentials & vCenter

Hello all. My company purchased the Essentials package for us to virtualize a branch office, with the original intent to manage the branch office with a local vCenter server. We now would like to manage our branch office hosts and vms from our central data center, on our existing vCenter. Can I manage ESX hosts licensed as Essentials by our regular vCenter?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Yes you can. As long as the ESX hosts have the VC Agent licensed you can connect it.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Will those ESX hosts be licensed for their VC agents through the Essentials package?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Yes. You must associate each ESX with a license code (can be more than one to the same license code as long it have enouth cpu count), and you will be able to do it from vcenter.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Marcelo, thanks for the information. I certainly appreciate your quick replies. Help me understand something here. I do understand that I will need VC agent licenses for every host i want to associate with a particular vCenter server. Here's what i want to know, with my Essentials package will i get VC agent licenses that i will be able to use on an existing vCenter Server, not on the vCenter Server that licenses with the Essentials package?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Yes, the essentials license came with a vCenter agent, does not matter what vCenter licensing mode you have.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Take a look at page 6 of http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

...VMware vSphere Essentials and VMware vSphere Essentials Plus are both targeted to smaller deployments. They provide all-in-one license solutions and include licenses for three physical servers (up to two processors each) and a central management server. All editions are self-contained solutions and may not be decoupled or combined with other VMware vSphere editions...

Seems that technically you can do it but I think that the licensing guys from VMware will not like it Smiley Wink

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Nicolás Solop

VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

!http://feeds.feedburner.com/WetcomGroup.1.gif!

0 Kudos