VMware Cloud Community
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when connecting to VMware Vcenter Server

I cannot connect to my vcenter server using vcenter client 4. this just started happening and I have not updated the server. Message received; "vshpere client could not connect with the vcenter server Details: a connection failure occurred (unable to connect to the remote server)."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thx.

see this in the logs.

Failed to obtain connection: HY000:-2146893044

Failed to obtain database connection for the past 1800 seconds. Please ensure that the database server is up and is accessible

Win32 exception: Access Violation (0xc0000005)

run odbc connection again and test database connection. does it connect correctly?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can ping vcenter ?

you just tried restart a vcenter service ?

check this note: http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vc40_u1_rel_notes.html

• Custom ports are not detected when you log in to vCenter
    Server using remote DB2 database

While using a remote DB2 database with vCenter Server, if you
    customize the HTTPS and HTTP ports (443 and 80 respectively by
    default), the custom ports are not detected, and vCenter Server still
    continues to listen in default ports. As a result, logging in through
    vSphere Client fails with the following error:
    vSphere Client could not connect with the
    vCenter Server .
    Details: A connection failure occurred (Unable to connect to the
    remote server)

You might be able to log in to vCenter Server by using<span class="style4">* localhost with the default port (443). After
    logging in, vCenter Health Status might display error messages similar
    to the following:

Unable to retrieve health data from https://host
    name:&lt;Custom Https Port&gt;/vpxdhealth
    Unable to retrieve health data from http://localhost:&lt;Custom
    Http Port&gt;/sms/smService-web

Workaround: Customize the values for ports: HTTTP -<span class="style4">* &lt;Custom Port&gt; and HTTPS –<span class="style4">* &lt;Custom Port&gt; from Administration
    &gt; vCenter Server Settings * &gt; Ports* in the vSphere Client. This ensures that the
    database is updated with these values. Restart vCenter Server Service.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

First thing is to RDP into the actual vCenter server and check the virtual center service. If it's running, next would be to attempt to login with vSphere client located on the vCenter server. The vpxd logs are going to help a lot with troubleshooting these types of problems. If you could upload the vpxd log during the time of the error that would help.

Location of vCenter logs - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101193...

Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I can ping and connect using a remote desktop connection.

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

Orange County Convention Center

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

post log.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I RDPd in to vcenter and cannot run client. Extracting logfiles now.

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extracting log files now.

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

get a log of vcenter at

When vCenter Server 4.0 is installed on Windows Server 2008, the directory path for the vpxd log files is:</span>

</div>

<div><span style="font-family: Courier New"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-family: Courier New">%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware
VirtualCenter\Logs</span>
</div>

This translates to the
following path by default{size

<div><span style="font-family: Courier New">{size:10pt}C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs</span></div>

<span style="font-family: Arial">Note: The folder may be hidden. If this is the case, configure Windows Explorer to show hidden folders.</span> </span>

</div>

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any specific log u want to view. I have a lot.

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the "vpxd" log that covers the time of the error - also give exact time you tried to connect with failure.

to take it out of the mix, disable the windows firewall if enabled. also, disable windows uac if enabled, just to remove it from the equation - http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Longhorn/server_2008_uac_user_account_control.htm.

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ran logfiles. Any particular one?

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here it is. The log does not show data through today. ???

Kyle Seaman

MIS Analyst

407 685-5816

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thx.

see this in the logs.

Failed to obtain database connection for the past 1800 seconds. Please ensure that the database server is up and is accessible

Win32 exception: Access Violation (0xc0000005)

run odbc connection again and test database connection. does it connect correctly?

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thx. It now is working. Appreciate you looking at the logs!

0 Kudos
Capnscarlet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can connect to my client now. Thanks for your help and I appreciate you looking at the logs.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure, np.

0 Kudos
mhanby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just began experiencing this on my vSphere rig (2 ESXi servers).

Out of the blue, attempts to bring up guest consols would produce the "vim.fault.invalidlogin" error. I also noticed the same error if I clicked on either ESXi host and clicked the Configure tab.

I ran across this post, which recommends right clicking on each ESX(i) host, selecting Disconnect, then Connect where you are prompted for new login credentials:

This worked for me, although I'm not sure what transpired to lose the login credentials, because they did not change on the ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
mhanby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interestingly, VMware VirtualCenter Server crashed each time I attempted to connect, after starting VC Server back up I was able to connect to the ESX server.

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe this was not because of the credentials problem but the different services of the ESX Hosts were kind of hung/stale for the vCenter.After you disconnect/connect the Hosts the corresponding daemons started.The Service mgmt-vmware restart command from each Host also can be tried for the same.

0 Kudos